SIXTEEN

My daughter, my only girl, turns sixteen today.  Since she was 3 months old, I've kept a journal for her of my thoughts regarding her and my love for her.  In honor of this milestone and for the few that keep tabs on her "growing up." I am posting today's entry to the journal below:

Here it is!  Your 16th birthday is here! I imagined this day when I started this book. I also imagined there'd be much more writing in here than there is.  Life never goes as we expect or plan for. That will be the first hard lesson you learn as an adult.  It is hard, but it is necessary.

At sixteen you have inherited your mother's love of relationship. I watch you struggle to understand why others don't value it as you do. I wish I could help but I am in the same struggle right along with you.

People are afraid. I know this.  Their fear threatens to overtake me as well..and often it does. I hope you shake off fear in your adult life.  Fear is the absence of faith and if you know Whose love enfolds you, you won't fear anything. You are completely protected inside of His will.  Stay there! This is another lesson that I am still learning.

A sixteen you are; confident and beautiful, servant-hearted and tender.  You've always wanted the world to be how you think it should but it just won't listen to you.  I know the feeling.  Remember that your destiny aligns you with His will. Do as He says you should and everyone else will end up where He's planned.

I haven't always done what I should, what I know to do. I've grown weak and rebellious at times.  We have manned "uncharted waters" together. You have made me proud. You've seen my imperfections and you've forgiven me my failings. Don't forget how to forgive.  It gets harder as you get older. You'll need the skill often.

I am almost finished raising you.  Where my job ends is where yours begins. Adulthood is hard.  It takes longer and some people just never get any better at it.  Wisdom and the search for it will be your best companion.

You're more ready than most people your age.  I am here...guiding and helping, a parent for a few more years but ALWAYS your friend and your biggest fan.   You will do even more great things.  Goodness and mercy will follow you ALL your days!

I Love you Forever,

Mom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WorkMANship

A Look Inside The Nutcase

PAST