CommUNITY



My girlfriend gave me this Christmas ornament.  This is a bad picture, but it says "The Commune" in the middle and RELAX on the upper left hand side.  Obviously, she takes me seriously....or so I thought.



Then I started talking about the possibility of cohabitating in a dome shaped area.  She wasn't so sure she could handle that....something about ADD, and it not being very attractive. When I pointed out that it would be fireproof and tornado proof and required less "land clearing" than a standard structure good old Joel chimed in with the option of building a square shaped building out of fire proof material. From there on the conversation deteriorated amongst us until there was a conversation about living in mud/straw huts???????

I LOVE YOU GUYS! SERIOUSLY! You're wonderful and I don't count it against you, but NOW I again do NOT think you're taking ME seriously.   You really think we can live in rural Illinois in mud/straw huts?? Do you REALLY think that despite the long list of economical advantages around structure provides (did I mention the low heating/a/c costs due to the shape of the building and the easy addition of solar panels??)  we should negate it as an option because it's just not attractive or comfortable???  Another girlfriend (who shall remain nameless;)) thinks she might join if we moved it to someplace warmer.   Have you thought this through? Were you planning on being naked? That's another blog:)  We know this area, the people, the towns, the economy....we all have that in common (at least everyone who reads this so far) and we're going to pack up and move to a strange place after letting go of much of our current resources (jobs, homes, property) and MOVE so we're a little "warmer"???? 

Perhaps practicality and simplicity is not a thought that naturally occurs to everyone when thinking of this lifestyle, but it is to me.   I fear that text comes across harsher than my general demeanor so let me be clear that I am not upset with anyone I just am trying to get us all on the same "page" and have been for some time and I feel like I am doing a PATHETIC job...hence this blog :)

Communes are about first and foremost SACRIFICE for the betterment of others.  You will have fewer clothes, less furniture, less food, less toys, less SCHTUFF and more friends, more love, more family and most importantly MUCH MORE KINDNESS AND GENEROSITY to those outside of your walk of life than you would ever be capable of extending on your own.  It is pooling our resources, sacrificing our luxuries and comforts for the betterment of the mind, soul and spirit all the while BUILDING the kingdom of heaven through acts of service and selflessness.

This is NOT to be a paradise or a utopia....FAR from it. This will be the hardest thing we've ever done.  There will be days when you want to kill me and you will have to STUFF it and make me a sandwich instead :).   I believe Jesus made sure the disciples got to eat even when they were being jerkwads, especially when they were being jerkwads.  When Peter cut off the soldiers ear, Jesus was upset. Jesus fixed it and loved Peter anyways.  I would have said "Go Peter!" at one time, but I'm starting to get it.  Love lays down offense. It's NOT allowed.   Love calls sin what it is but negates the fear sin causes ("perfect love casts out fear") because it is void of revenge or inflicting consequence.   If you want to pluck a chicken and I want to go to the supermarket for chicken, I'm going to shut up and pluck the chicken.    I believe Jesus said to "consider others as BETTER than yourselves."  This isn't about comfort...it's all about sacrifice.  It CAN be done and us mommies do it all the time for our children (at least most of us do). We just don't tend to see others as worthy of the same level of sacrifice. I am asking you for MORE because I believe it will benefit not just the commune, not just our society, not just the world, not just the kingdom of Heaven...it will benefit YOU!

I want to be of one mind and one heart. I don't WANT to make the rules, but I want to share the vision and find agreement on some level.  That is why I am putting my notions out there. They are still hazy, I understand, but will become more clear as we move along.   We will have ipods and laptops and day jobs and marriages and children but ALL of our possessions (excepts spouses :)) will be held in common , all will be mutually respectful of one another AND most importantly; THERE WILL BE NO OFFENSE!!!

What does that mean? Well if your read this blog and you're now even the slightest bit annoyed with me? You should really rethink being a part of this commune :)

P.S.  Wikipedia defines "commune" as :commune is an intentional community of people living together, sharing common interests, property, possessions, resourceswork, andincome. In addition to the communal economyconsensus decision-making, non-hierarchical structures and ecological living have become important core principles for many communes. Andrew Jacobs of The New York Times wrote that, contrary to popular misconceptions, "most communes of the '90s are not free-love refuges for flower children, but well-ordered, financially solvent cooperatives where pragmatics, not psychedelics, rule the day."[1]
Today most people are seeking to create a new type of community where the housing is more affordable and the people who are members are already known to each other.[citation needed] People who create and reside in the communities are seeking a return to a better way of life.[citation needed] There are many contemporary intentional communities all over the world, a list of which can be found at the Fellowship for Intentional Community's.[2]

Comments

  1. Ok, so to be fair, you have to take me in some kind of context. "I" already have to move to join this commune. Guess I didn't think about everyone else moving, but I figured if I was moving, it might as well be where I didn't have to shovel to get my car out of the driveway in the winter. I assume we'll still have cars? It was completely borne upon laziness. So there.

    I'm still with you. Keep planning; I just have to convince my husband. Oh, and the naked thing? I almost put in the last comment that I was hoping this wasn't a naked place. So I'm glad to hear you say that...

    I'm sure this will inspire more debate :) but why do you assume people aren't taking you seriously? Or maybe I'm just not around to hear others talk about it. I still love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess when I hear people suggesting "mud and straw huts" and nudity it just makes me think that people are trying to "joke right along with me"...they can't possibly be serious with those ideas??? The only problem is I'M NOT JOKING and I'M NOT NUTS! Either way, I feel the need to defend myself but maybe that's just in my blood....we shall see. A nudist, a single nudist would really liven things up. Let me know if you know anyone :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WorkMANship

A Look Inside The Nutcase

PAST