What the Gospel Looks Like

Bless me with a somber

 gaze upon my brow

Break my back and bruise me black
as I turn toward the plow

Give me sweet simplicity

Faith's brave  truthful words

leave behind the lights and fights

the screams to beat the world's


Lose the smoke, it's all a joke

the costumes and the crowds

the passion fades, the music stays

the hunger like  a cloud

Never to remember the glory of the cross

Fail now to understand the beauty in the loss

Gifts and pleasure satiate

Fodder for the want

Fail now to appreciate

the price with which you're bought


Profane what is holy

pearls before the swine

"My Father's house a den of thieves"

and this is all a sign…..



Fall away, deep love wax cold

burn away the dross

as it did those years ago

before He bore the cross


Prophecy won't fail us

It telescopes again

Meanwhile the One who made us

Grieves His people's sin


The Word was born unfettered

it dwelt with us unkempt

the beauty was: "He had no form He had NO comeliness"

So void of all possession no place to lay His head

and We beheld His glory to die there in our stead


There were no lights and music ,save heaven and the angels

Comfort never bothered call and birth came in a stable


The gifts He gave they kept us..but they weren't things we could keep

He's held them as He's left us….here to sow and reap


Gifts may fill an altar

lights may dress a stage

but humanity WILL falter

and Christ remains the same

He is ever humble and He looks humble too

His servant heart will not start to offer what the world will to you



I believe in Jesus

not a  church and not a faith

I believe He sees us

and doesn't want us to be fake

Because the world is passing and quickly fading away

The Master now is asking for us to present what stays the same

It is NOT smoke and mirrors

It is not sounds and lights.

The Gospel needs no dressing up

it needs no "Bragging rights"

Perversion of the Truth

can often look real fancy

but when the thrill finally wears off

it leaves people awfully antsy.


Think hard of 12 disciples

who left it ALL behind

He made it all that way on purpose

so the Gospel would shine BRIGHT


If my faith is in the presentation?

If my faith is in the show?

If my faith is in what God can make me?

How He can help me grow?

Then I've never really met Him

I've never been in love

For when I fathom who He is

I can do nought but love


Hungry? are you really?

Only He will satisfy

Dance and Riffs and lights and gigs??

They'll leave you high and dry


But HE will take you lower

thank you ever dreamed you'd go

and grace will lead you over

the mountains you must go

You never knew you wanted

struggle fear and strain

you never knew you needed

to cling so tightly to the power of His name.


Love cannot be easy

asking that you die

give up all aesthetic wants

and leave your fears behind

My Father's house is empty

save the store of heaven's treasure

and when the worlds call tempts me

reminds me of His right hand's pleasure

 Call us back

don't fade to black

the grey can barely stand

in by gone days

the prophets bade

you crucified the lot


So make your choice so carefully

The crowd's not often right.

Ignore the glitz the lofty glamour and look for black and white.

It's empty, lonely far off over there….but that room is filled with LIGHT.

JM 2013



 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole worldas a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.  Matthew 24:12


11 You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. - Psalm 16:11


 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.” Luke 9:62

He has no form or comeliness;
And when we see Him,
There is no beauty that we should desire Him.
He is despised and rejected by men,
A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him;
He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.- Isaiah 53





























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WorkMANship

A Look Inside The Nutcase

PAST